Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. The country of one's birth or one's ancestors.
2. The country from which the settlers of a territory originally came.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) the original country of colonists or settlers
2. (Historical Terms) the original country of colonists or settlers
3. (Anthropology & Ethnology) another term for fatherland
4. another term for fatherland
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the country of one's birth or ancestry.
2. the country of origin of settlers or colonists in a place.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mother country - the country where you were born|
country, land, state - the territory occupied by a nation; "he returned to the land of his birth"; "he visited several European countries"
old country - the country of origin of an immigrant
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.