Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
(Linguistics) linguistics a person skilled in recognizing vocal changes caused by muscular tension
1. (Linguistics) linguistics pertaining to the ability to recognize vocal changes due to muscular tension
2. (Music, other) music having a repetitive rhythm suggestive of mechanical movement
3. pertaining to motion
1. a comparatively small and powerful engine, esp. an internal-combustion engine in an automobile, motorboat, or the like.
2. any self-powered vehicle.
3. something that imparts motion, esp. a contrivance, as a steam engine, that receives and modifies energy from some natural source in order to utilize it in driving machinery.
4. a machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy.adj.
5. pertaining to or operated by a motor.
6. of, by, or for motor vehicles.
7. designed for motorists: a motor inn.
8. causing or producing motion.
9. conveying an impulse that results or tends to result in motion: a motor nerve cell.
10. of, pertaining to, or involving muscular movement: a motor response.v.i.
11. to ride in an automobile; drive.v.t.
12. to drive or transport by car.