mat(redirected from mouse mats)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
a flat piece of material used to place under an object, such as a dish; a floor pad: a doormat
Not to be confused with:
matte – a dull finish, as on glass, metal, or paper: a glossy or matte photo
Master of Arts in Teaching
1. A flat piece of coarse fabric or other material used for wiping one's shoes or feet, or in various other forms as a floor covering.
2. A small flat piece of decorated material placed under a lamp, dish of food, or other object.
3. Sports A floor pad to protect athletes, as in wrestling or gymnastics.
4. A densely woven or thickly tangled mass: a mat of hair.
5. The solid part of a lace design.
6. A heavy woven net of rope or wire cable placed over a blasting site to keep debris from scattering.
v. mat·ted, mat·ting, mats
1. To cover, protect, or decorate with mats or a mat.
2. To pack or interweave into a thick mass: High winds matted the leaves against the base of the fence.
To be packed or interwoven into a thick mass; become entangled.
[Middle English matte, from Old English matta, meatte, from Late Latin matta, of Phoenician origin; see nṭy in Semitic roots.]
1. A decorative border placed around a picture to serve as a frame or provide contrast between the picture and the frame.
2. also matte
a. A dull, often rough finish, as of paint, glass, metal, or paper.
b. A special tool for producing such a surface or finish.
3. Printing See matrix.
tr.v. mat·ted, mat·ting, mats
1. To put a mat around (a picture).
2. To produce a dull finish on.
Variant of matte1.
[From French, dull, from Old French, defeated, withered, perhaps from Latin mattus, stupefied, senseless, possibly from *maditus, past participle of madēre, to be wet.]
1. a thick flat piece of fabric used as a floor covering, a place to wipe one's shoes, etc
2. a smaller pad of material used to protect a surface from the heat, scratches, etc, of an object placed upon it
3. (General Sporting Terms) a large piece of thick padded material put on the floor as a surface for wrestling, judo, or gymnastic sports
4. (Clothing & Fashion) NZ a Māori cloak
5. go back to the mat NZ to abandon urban civilization
6. any surface or mass that is densely interwoven or tangled: a mat of grass and weeds.
7. (Knitting & Sewing) the solid part of a lace design
8. (Civil Engineering)
a. a heavy net of cable or rope laid over a blasting site to prevent the scatter of debris
b. a heavy mesh of reinforcement in a concrete slab
c. (esp US) a steel or concrete raft serving as a footing to support a post
9. (Civil Engineering) civil engineering short for mattress3
vb, mats, matting or matted
10. to tangle or weave or become tangled or woven into a dense mass
11. (tr) to cover with a mat or mats
[Old English matte; related to Old High German matta]
1. (Art Terms) a border of cardboard, cloth, etc, placed around a picture to act as a frame or as a contrast between picture and frame
2. a surface, as on metal or paint
having a dull, lustreless, or roughened surface
vb (tr) , mats, matting or mattedAlso (for senses 2, 4): matt
3. (Art Terms) to furnish (a picture) with a mat
4. to give (a surface) a mat finish
[C17: from French, literally: dead; see checkmate]
(Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) printing informal short for matrix5
n., v. mat•ted, mat•ting. n.
1. a piece of fabric, as of plaited or woven fiber, used on a floor or other surface as a covering.
2. a smaller piece of material set under an object, as a dish.
3. a thick pad placed on a floor to protect wrestlers, tumblers, and gymnasts.
4. a thick tangled mass, as of hair or weeds.v.t.
5. to cover with or as if with mats or matting.
6. to form into a mat, as by interweaving.v.i.
7. to form tangled masses.
8. go to the mat, to support or defend a person or cause with vigor and determination.
[before 900; < Late Latin matta mat of rushes < Semitic]
n., v. mat•ted, mat•ting. n.
1. material serving as a frame or border for a picture.v.t.
2. to provide (a picture) with a mat.
adj., n., v. mat•ted, mat•ting.
[1920–25; shortened form of matrix]
Master of Arts in Teaching.
Past participle: matted
Past participle: matted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mat - a thick flat pad used as a floor covering|
|2.||mat - mounting consisting of a border or background for a picture|
mounting - framework used for support or display
|3.||mat - sports equipment consisting of a piece of thick padding on the floor for gymnastic sports|
canvas, canvass - the mat that forms the floor of the ring in which boxers or professional wrestlers compete; "the boxer picked himself up off the canvas"
sports equipment - equipment needed to participate in a particular sport
wrestling mat - a mat on which wrestling matches are conducted
|4.||mat - a mass that is densely tangled or interwoven; "a mat of weeds and grass"|
mass - a body of matter without definite shape; "a huge ice mass"
|5.||MAT - a master's degree in teaching |
master's degree - an academic degree higher than a bachelor's degree but lower than a doctor's degree
|6.||mat - the property of having little or no contrast; lacking highlights or gloss|
dullness - a lack of visual brightness; "the brightness of the orange sky was reflected in the dullness of the orange sea"
|7.||mat - a small pad of material that is used to protect surface from an object placed on it|
drip mat - a small mat placed under a glass to protect a surface from condensation
pad - a flat mass of soft material used for protection, stuffing, or comfort
place mat - a mat serving as table linen for an individual place setting
|Verb||1.||mat - twist together or entwine into a confusing mass; "The child entangled the cord"|
felt - mat together and make felt-like; "felt the wool"
|2.||mat - change texture so as to become matted and felt-like; "The fabric felted up after several washes"|
change - undergo a change; become different in essence; losing one's or its original nature; "She changed completely as she grew older"; "The weather changed last night"
|Adj.||1.||mat - not reflecting light; not glossy; "flat wall paint"; "a photograph with a matte finish"|
dull - emitting or reflecting very little light; "a dull glow"; "dull silver badly in need of a polish"; "a dull sky"
قِطْعَة مَسِحمَفْرَشُ الْطَاوِلَةِ
miếng vải lót cốc
n → Matte f; (= door mat) → Fußmatte f; (on table) → Untersetzer m; (of cloth) → Deckchen nt; (of hair) → Gewirr nt; to go to the mat for somebody (US) → sich für jdn auf einen Streit einlassen; to go to the mat to do something (US) → einen Streit riskieren, um etw zu tun
vi → verfilzen
a flat piece of material (rushes, rubber, carpet, cork etc) for wiping shoes on, covering a floor, or various other purposes. Wipe your shoes on the doormat; a table mat. mat قِطْعَة مَسِح черга tapete rohož; krytina; podložka die Matte, der Untersetzer måtte; -måtte; dækkeserviet χαλάκι, σουβέρestera, felpudo matt زیر پایی matto tapis שְׁטִיחוֹן चटाई prostirač lábtörlő; alátét keset motta tappetino マット 매트, 돗자리 patiesalas, demblys paklājiņš; kājslauķis; sedziņa tikar matmatte; løper; brikkemata, wycieraczka پاپوښ tapete preş; muşama коврик; салфетка rohož; krytina; podložka preproga otirač matta, liten duk เสื่อ paspas, altlık 蓆子，墊子 рогожа; килимок چٹائی، فرش، پا انداز chiếu; thảm chùi chân 席子，垫子ˈmatted adjective
in a thick untidy mess. matted hair. deurmekaar أشْعَث الشَّعْر сплетен emaranhado rozcuchaný verfilzt sammenfiltret μπερδεμένος, που σχηματίζει ανακατωμένο σωρό enmarañado pulstunud درهم برهم takkuinen emmêléסבוך निष्प्रभ, द्युतिहीन, चटाईदार, बेंत का, उलझा हुआ, जटिल, घना pokriven, pleten összegubancolt kusut flæktur, flókinn arruffato, ingarbugliato もつれた 돗자리를 깐 suveltas savēlies kusut samengeklit floket, sammenfiltret splątany ګډو وډ emaranhado încâlcit, încurcat спутанный rozstrapatený prepleten čupav tovig เกาะกันเป็นก้อน keçeleşmiş 糾結的 сплутаний, скуйовджений الجھے، گٹھے bết (tóc) 成簇的，缠结的ˈmatting noun
a material used for making mats. coconut matting. matmateriaal مادَّة لِصُنْع الحُصُر рогозка esteira rohožovina der Mattenstoff måttemateriale ψάθαestera rogusk حصیر matto fibres végétales חוֹמֶר לְשטִיחוֹן चटाई vrsta prostirača gyékényfonat bahan keset mottuefni (þurrkuð strá, hampur) fibra マット材 매트의 재료 plaušai maša bahan anyaman matwerk mattevarer materiał na maty پلوزى،بوريا esteira rogojină материал для плетения циновок materiál na rohože vlakna materijal za otirač mattväv, matta เครื่องปูลาด hasır, keçe 編蓆材料 мата; рогожа غالیچہ یا دری بنانے کا مادہ nguyên liệu dệt thảm 编席子的材料