muff(redirected from muffs)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. muffed, muff·ing, muffs
1. To perform or handle clumsily or ineptly; bungle. See Synonyms at botch.
2. Sports To fail to make (a catch).
To perform a task clumsily or ineptly.
1. A clumsy or bungled action.
2. Sports A failure to make a catch.
1. A small cylindrical fur or cloth cover, open at both ends, in which the hands are placed for warmth.
2. A cluster of feathers on the side of the face of certain breeds of fowl.
3. Vulgar Slang The vulva.
[Dutch mof, from Middle Dutch moffel, from Old French mofle, mitten, from Medieval Latin muffula, perhaps of Germanic origin.]
1. (Clothing & Fashion) an open-ended cylinder of fur or cloth into which the hands are placed for warmth
2. (Zoology) the tuft on either side of the head of certain fowls
3. taboo slang Brit the female genitals
[C16: probably from Dutch mof, ultimately from French mouffle muffle1]
1. to perform (an action) awkwardly
2. (General Sporting Terms) (tr) to bungle (a shot, catch, etc) in a game
3. (General Sporting Terms) any unskilful play in a game, esp a dropped catch
4. any clumsy or bungled action
5. a bungler
[C19: of uncertain origin]
1. a thick tubular case for the hands, usu. covered with fur.
2. a bungled action or performance.v.t.
3. to handle clumsily.v.i.
4. to act clumsily.
[1590–1600; < Dutch mof < Old North French moufle < early Medieval Latin muffula]
Past participle: muffed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||muff - a warm tubular covering for the hands|
|2.||muff - (sports) dropping the ball |
blooper, blunder, boner, boo-boo, botch, bungle, flub, foul-up, fuckup, pratfall, bloomer - an embarrassing mistake
American football, American football game - a game played by two teams of 11 players on a rectangular field 100 yards long; teams try to get possession of the ball and advance it across the opponents goal line in a series of (running or passing) plays
baseball, baseball game - a ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of nine players; teams take turns at bat trying to score runs; "he played baseball in high school"; "there was a baseball game on every empty lot"; "there was a desire for National League ball in the area"; "play ball!"
|Verb||1.||muff - fail to catch, as of a ball|
|2.||muff - make a mess of, destroy or ruin; "I botched the dinner and we had to eat out"; "the pianist screwed up the difficult passage in the second movement"|
bobble, bodge, bollix, bollix up, bollocks, bollocks up, botch, botch up, bumble, bungle, flub, fluff, foul up, fuck up, louse up, mess up, mishandle, muck up, ball up, spoil, screw up, fumble, blow
verb botch, bungle, fluff (informal), spoil, screw up (informal), mess up, cock up (Brit. slang), fuck up (offensive taboo slang), make a mess of, mismanage, make a nonsense of, bodge (informal), make a pig's ear of (informal), flub (U.S. slang), make a muck of (informal) He muffed his opening speech.
n → Muff m
n to make a muff of = to muff