Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to multiplier: multiplicand
1. One that multiplies: This old house is a multiplier of expenses.
2. Mathematics The number by which another number is multiplied. In 8 × 32, the multiplier is 8.
3. Physics A device, such as a phototube, used to enhance or increase an effect.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mathematics) a person or thing that multiplies
2. (Mathematics) the number by which another number, the multiplicand, is multiplied. See also multiplicand
3. (General Physics) physics any device or instrument, such as a photomultiplier, for increasing an effect
4. (Economics) economics
a. the ratio of the total change in income (resulting from successive rounds of spending) to an initial autonomous change in expenditure
b. (as modifier): multiplier effects.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
mul•ti•pli•er(ˈmʌl təˌplaɪ ər)
1. a person or thing that multiplies.
2. a number by which another is multiplied.
3. Physics. a device for intensifying some effect.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The number by which another number is multiplied.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A ratio of changes of national income and employment to changes in expenditure.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||multiplier - the number by which a multiplicand is multiplied|
number - a concept of quantity involving zero and units; "every number has a unique position in the sequence"
scale factor - a number used as a multiplier in scaling
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.