Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An Asian plant (Vigna radiata) in the pea family, widely cultivated for its edible seeds and pods. It is the chief source of bean sprouts.
2. A seed or pod of this plant.
[Hindi mūṁg, from Sanskrit mudgaḥ.]
1. (Plants) an E Asian bean plant, Phaseolus aureus, grown for forage and as the source of bean sprouts used in oriental cookery
2. (Cookery) the seed of this plant
[C20 mung, changed from mungo, from Tamil mūngu, ultimately from Sanskrit mudga]
1. a plant, Vigna radiata, of the legume family, cultivated for its edible seeds, pods, and young sprouts.
2. the seed or pod of this plant.
[1905–10; earlier moong < Hindi mūg, variant of mūg; compare Pali, Prakrit mugga, Skt mudga]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mung bean - erect bushy annual widely cultivated in warm regions of India and Indonesia and United States for forage and especially its edible seeds; chief source of bean sprouts used in Chinese cookery; sometimes placed in genus Phaseolus|