Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to murmurously: serendipity
1. A low, indistinct, continuous sound: spoke in a murmur; the murmur of the waves.
2. An indistinct, whispered, or confidential complaint; a mutter.
3. Medicine An abnormal sound, usually emanating from the heart, that sometimes indicates a diseased condition.
v. mur·mured, mur·mur·ing, mur·murs
1. To make a low, continuous, indistinct sound or succession of sounds.
2. To complain in low mumbling tones; grumble.
To say in a low indistinct voice; utter indistinctly: murmured his approval.
[Middle English murmure, from Old French, from Latin murmur, a humming, roaring, of imitative origin.]
in a murmurous or murmuring manner