Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to mustache: Handlebars
mus·tachealso mous·tache (mŭs′tăsh′, mə-stăsh′)
1. The hair growing on the human upper lip, especially when cultivated and groomed.
2. Something similar to the cultivated, groomed hair on the human upper lip, as:
a. A group of bristles or hairs about the mouth of an animal.
b. Distinctive coloring or feathers near the beak of a bird.
c. Food or drink sticking conspicuously to the upper lip: wiped the milk mustache from my face.
[French moustache, from Italian dialectal mustaccio, from Medieval Greek moustakion, from Greek mustax, mustache, upper lip.]
mus′tached (mŭs′tăsht, mə-stăsht′) adj.
(Hairdressing & Grooming) the US spelling of moustache
mus•tache(ˈmʌs tæʃ, məˈstæʃ)
1. the hair growing on the upper lip.
2. such hair on men, often trimmed in any of various shapes.
3. hairs or bristles growing near the mouth of an animal.
4. a stripe of color, or elongated feathers, on the side of the head of a bird.
[1575–85; < Middle French moustache < Italian mostaccio]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mustache - an unshaved growth of hair on the upper lip; "he looked younger after he shaved off his mustache"|
facial hair - hair on the face (especially on the face of a man)
handle-bars, moustachio, mustachio - a large bushy moustache (with hair growing sometimes down the sides of the mouth)
mustache→ شَارِبٌ knír overskæg Schnurrbart μουστάκι bigote viikset moustache brk baffi 口ひげ 콧수염 snor bart wąsy bigode усы mustasch หนวด bıyık ria 小胡子