Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to mystical: Mystical experience
1. Of, relating to, or stemming from mysticism or immediate understanding of spiritual matters, especially when experienced as direct communion with God: a mystical trance; a mystical treatise.
2. Symbolic or allegorical, especially with regard to spirituality: a mystical interpretation of a parable.
a. Awe-inspiring or mysterious: "Had his dabbling in the unknown awakened a liking for more mystical sounds, the magical conjuring of sea upon the shore?" (Daphne du Maurier).
b. Believed or maintained with awe or deep respect, especially when contrary to or lacking factual evidence: mystical theories about the securities market.
4. Of or relating to mystic rites or practices: stones arranged in a mystical circle.
1. (Alternative Belief Systems) relating to or characteristic of mysticism
2. (Theology) Christianity having a divine or sacred significance that surpasses natural human apprehension
3. (Alternative Belief Systems) having occult or metaphysical significance, nature, or force
4. a less common word for mysterious
mys•ti•cal(ˈmɪs tɪ kəl)
1. mystic; occult.
2. of or pertaining to mystics or mysticism.
3. spiritually symbolic.
syn: See mysterious.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||mystical - relating to or characteristic of mysticism; "mystical religion"|
|2.||mystical - relating to or resembling mysticism; "mystical intuition"; "mystical theories about the securities market"|
|3.||mystical - having an import not apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence; beyond ordinary understanding; "mysterious symbols"; "the mystical style of Blake"; "occult lore"; "the secret learning of the ancients"|
esoteric - confined to and understandable by only an enlightened inner circle; "a compilation of esoteric philosophical theories"