Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to named: Named Pipes
a. A word or words by which an entity is designated and distinguished from others.
b. A word or group of words used to describe or evaluate, often disparagingly: Don't call me names.
2. Representation or repute, as opposed to reality: a democracy in name, a police state in fact.
a. A reputation: has a bad name.
b. A distinguished reputation: made a name for himself as a drummer.
4. An illustrious or outstanding person: joined several famous names for a photograph. See Synonyms at celebrity.
tr.v. named, nam·ing, names
1. To give a name to: named the child after both grandparents.
2. To mention, specify, or cite by name: named the primary colors.
3. To call by an epithet: named them all cowards.
4. To nominate for or appoint to a duty, office, or honor. See Synonyms at appoint.
5. To specify or fix: We need to name the time for our meeting.
Well-known by a name: a name performer.
in the name of
1. By the authority of: Open up in the name of the law!
2. For the reason of; using as a reason: grisly experiments performed in the name of science.
to (one's) name
Belonging to one: I don't have a hat to my name.
nam′a·ble, name′a·ble adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Did you know a boy called Desmond?
We passed through a town called Monmouth.
A man named Richardson confessed to the theft.
You can use called either after a noun or after be.
She starred in a play called Katerina.
The book was called The Goalkeeper's Revenge.
You usually use named immediately after a noun.
The victim was an 18-year-old girl named Marinetta Jirkowski.
Collins COBUILD English Usage © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 2004, 2011, 2012
Switch to new thesaurus
1. called, christened, known as, dubbed, termed, styled, labelled, entitled, denominated, baptized He was named John.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002