Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A region of southeast Africa on the Indian Ocean. Originally home to Zulus and other Bantu peoples, the region was sighted by Vasco da Gama in 1497 and settled by British traders in 1823 and by the Boers after 1836. Annexed by the British to Cape Colony in 1843, Natal became a separate colony after 1856 and a founding province of South Africa in 1910.
2. A city of northeast Brazil on the Atlantic Ocean north of Recife. Founded in the late 1590s, it grew rapidly in World War II as a base for flights connecting with Africa.
1. Of, relating to, or accompanying birth: natal injuries.
2. Of or associated with the time or place of one's birth: a natal star.
1. (Medicine) of or relating to birth
2. a rare word for native: natal instincts.
[C14: from Latin nātālis of one's birth, from nātus, from nascī to be born]
(Anatomy) anatomy of or relating to the buttocks
[from New Latin nates buttocks]
1. (Placename) a former province of E South Africa, between the Drakensberg and the Indian Ocean: set up as a republic by the Boers in 1838; became a British colony in 1843; joined South Africa in 1910; replaced by KwaZulu-Natal in 1994. Capital: Pietermaritzburg
2. (Placename) a port in NE Brazil, capital of Rio Grande do Norte state, near the mouth of the Potengi River. Pop: 1 049 000 (2005 est)
1. of or pertaining to a person's birth.
2. presiding over or affecting a person at birth.
3. (of places) native.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin nātālis, derivative of nāt(us) an offspring]
Na•tal(nəˈtæl, -ˈtɑl; for 2 also nəˈtɔl)
1. a province in the E part of the Republic of South Africa. 2,145,018; 35,284 sq. mi. (91,886 sq. km). Cap.: Pietermaritzburg.
2. the capital of Rio Grande do Norte, in NE Brazil. 376,446.
Na•tal′i•an, adj., n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Natal - a region of eastern South Africa on the Indian Ocean; "Natal was renamed KwaZulu-Natal in 1994"|
Republic of South Africa, South Africa - a republic at the southernmost part of Africa; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1910; first European settlers were Dutch (known as Boers)
Zulu - a member of the tall Negroid people of eastern South Africa; some live in KwaZulu-Natal under the traditional clan system but many now work in the cities
|2.||Natal - a port city in northeastern Brazil|
|Adj.||1.||natal - relating to or accompanying birth; "natal injuries"; "natal day"; "natal influences"|
|2.||natal - of or relating to the buttocks|