navel(redirected from navels)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to navels: Novels
the depression in the center of the belly where the umbilical cord had been attached
Not to be confused with:
naval – of the navy: Naval Academy; pertaining to ships: naval battle
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
1. The mark on the surface of the abdomen of mammals where the umbilical cord was attached during gestation. Also called umbilicus.
2. A central point; a middle.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anatomy) the scar in the centre of the abdomen, usually forming a slight depression, where the umbilical cord was attached. Technical name: umbilicus
2. a central part, location, or point; middle
3. (Cookery) short for navel orange
[Old English nafela; related to Old Frisian navla, Old High German nabulo (German Nabel), Latin umbilīcus]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the depression in the surface of the abdomen where the umbilical cord was connected with the fetus; umbilicus.
2. the central point of any thing or place.
[before 900; Old English nafela, c. Old High German nabalo, Old Norse nafli; akin to Latin umbilīcus, Greek omphalós, Skt nābhīla]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
- omphalos - From the Greek word meaning "navel"—for the round stone in the temple of Apollo at Delphi supposed to mark the center of the earth—it describes the center, heart, or hub of a place, organization, or sphere of activity.
- omphaloskepsis - Contemplation of one's navel as an aid to meditation.
- navel, umbilicus, belly button, omphalodium - The navel is also the umbilicus, belly button, or omphalodium; navel and umbilicus share the same Indo-European root.
- umbilical - From Latin umbilicus, "navel."
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||navel - a scar where the umbilical cord was attached; "you were not supposed to show your navel on television"; "they argued whether or not Adam had a navel"; "she had a tattoo just above her bellybutton"|
abdomen, belly, stomach, venter - the region of the body of a vertebrate between the thorax and the pelvis
point - the precise location of something; a spatially limited location; "she walked to a point where she could survey the whole street"
|2.||navel - the center point or middle of something; "the Incas believed that Cuzco was the navel of the universe"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. bellybutton (informal), tummy button (informal) A small incision is made just below the navel.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
navel[ˈneɪvəl] N → ombligo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
navel[ˈneɪv/əl] n → ombelico
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
the small hollow in the front of the abdomen, just below the middle of the waist. nawel, nael سُرَّه пъп umbigo pupík der Nabel navle αφαλόςombligo naba میان napa nombrilטבור नाभि pupak köldök pusar nafli ombelico へそ 배꼽 bamba naba pusat navelnavlepępek ملا،كمر umbigo buric пупок pupok popek pupak navel สะดือ göbek 肚臍 пупок, пуп ناف rốn 肚脐
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
navel→ سُرَّةٌ pupek navle Nabel ομφαλός ombligo napa nombril pupak ombelico へそ 배꼽 navel navle pępek umbigo пупок navel สะดือ göbek rốn 肚脐
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.