Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A narrowly avoided collision involving two or more aircraft, ships, boats, or motor vehicles.
2. A missile strike that is extremely close to but not directly on target.
3. Something that fails by a very narrow margin: Her campaign for the Senate was a near miss.
1. (Military) a bomb, shell, etc, that does not exactly hit the target
2. any attempt or shot that just fails to be successful
3. an incident in which two vehicles narrowly avoid collision
1. a strike by a missile that is not a direct hit.
2. the narrow avoidance of a collision.
3. something that falls narrowly short of its object.
Any circumstances in flight when the degree of separation between two aircraft might constitute a hazardous situation. Also called airmiss.