Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. Cloudy, misty, or hazy.
2. Lacking definite form or limits; vague: nebulous assurances of future cooperation.
3. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a nebula.
1. lacking definite form, shape, or content; vague or amorphous: nebulous reasons.
2. (Astronomy) of, characteristic of, or resembling a nebula
3. rare misty or hazy
neb•u•lous(ˈnɛb yə ləs)
1. hazy, vague, indistinct, or confused.
2. cloudy or cloudlike.
3. of or resembling a nebula or nebulae; nebular.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||nebulous - lacking definite form or limits; "gropes among cloudy issues toward a feeble conclusion"- H.T.Moore; "nebulous distinction between pride and conceit"|
indistinct - not clearly defined or easy to perceive or understand; "indistinct shapes in the gloom"; "an indistinct memory"; "only indistinct notions of what to do"
|2.||nebulous - of or relating to or resembling a nebula; "the nebular hypothesis of the origin of the solar system"|
|3.||nebulous - lacking definition or definite content; "nebulous reasons"; "unfixed as were her general notions of what men ought to be"- Jane Austen|
indefinite - vague or not clearly defined or stated; "must you be so indefinite?"; "amorphous blots of color having vague and indefinite edges"; "he would not answer so indefinite a proposal"
1. vague, confused, uncertain, obscure, unclear, ambiguous, indefinite, hazy, indeterminate, imprecise, indistinct the nebulous concept of `spirit'