needful(redirected from needfulness)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Necessary; required: needful repairs.
2. Being in need of something: "The mother ... is attracted, distracted, needful of the outside world just when the child requires her to be focused, steady, home" (Anne Roiphe).
(used with a pl. verb) Needy people considered as a group: programs that provided jobs for the needful.
1. necessary; needed; required
2. archaic needy; poverty-stricken
3. the needful informal money or funds: do you have the needful?.
4. do the needful to perform a necessary task
1. necessary or required: needful supplies.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||needful - necessary for relief or supply; "provided them with all things needful"|
necessary - absolutely essential