Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. needlefish or nee·dle·fish·es
1. Any of various marine fishes of the family Belonidae, having slender bodies and long thin jaws with sharp teeth. Also called garfish.
2. Any of various other slender fishes, such as a pipefish or a sand lance.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -fish or -fishes
1. (Animals) any ferocious teleost fish of the family Belonidae of warm and tropical regions, having an elongated body and long toothed jaws
2. (Animals) another name for pipefish
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. (esp. collectively) -fish, (esp. for kinds or species) -fish•es.
1. any warm-water marine fish of the family Belonidae, having long-toothed jaws.
2. a pipefish.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||needlefish - elongate European surface-dwelling predacious fishes with long toothed jaws; abundant in coastal waters|
Belonidae, family Belonidae - ferocious fishes of warm regions resembling but unrelated to the freshwater gars
timucu - found in warm waters of western Atlantic
|2.||needlefish - fish with long tubular snout and slim body covered with bony plates|
Cosmocampus profundus, deepwater pipefish - a fish 8 inches long; found from eastern Florida to western Caribbean
sea horse, seahorse - small fish with horse-like heads bent sharply downward and curled tails; swim in upright position
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.