neglected(redirected from neglectedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
tr.v. ne·glect·ed, ne·glect·ing, ne·glects
1. To pay little or no attention to; fail to heed; disregard: neglected their warnings.
2. To fail to care for or attend to properly: neglects her appearance.
3. To fail to do or carry out, as through carelessness or oversight: neglected to return the call.
1. The act or an instance of neglecting something: Your neglect of my advice will only make matters worse.
2. The state or fact of being neglected: The garden fell into neglect.
3. Habitual lack of care: The dog has been subjected to terrible neglect.
[Latin neglegere, neglēct- : neg-, not; see ne in Indo-European roots + legere, to choose, pick up; see leg- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
suffering from a lack of careoverlooked and forgotten
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||neglected - disregarded; "his cries were unheeded"; "Shaw's neglected one-act comedy, `A Village Wooing'"; "her ignored advice"|
unnoticed - not noticed; "hoped his departure had passed unnoticed"
|2.||neglected - lacking a caretaker; "a neglected child"; "many casualties were lying unattended"|
uncared-for - lacking needed care and attention
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. uncared-for, abandoned, underestimated, disregarded, undervalued, unappreciated The fact that he is not coming today makes his grandmother feel neglected.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
bị sao lãng
neglected[nɪˈglektɪd] ADJ [child] → desatendido; [house, garden] → descuidado, abandonado; [appearance] (of person) → descuidado, desaliñado; [promise] → incumplido
he is a much neglected composer → es un compositor insuficientemente or poco reconocido
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
neglected[nɪˈglɛktɪd] adj → trascurato/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
neglected→ مُهْمّل zanedbaný forsømt vernachlässigt παραμελημένος descuidado laiminlyöty négligé zanemaren trascurato おろそかにされた 무시된 verwaarloosd forsømt zaniedbany abandonado запущенный försummad ถูกทอดทิ้ง ihmal edilmiş bị sao lãng 被忽视的
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009