Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to nelson: Nelson Mandela
Any of several wrestling holds in which the user places an arm under the opponent's upper arm or armpit and presses the wrist or the palm of the hand against the back of the opponent's neck.
[Perhaps from the name Nelson.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
[C19: from a proper name]
1. (Placename) a town in NW England, in E Lancashire: textile industry. Pop: 28 998 (2001)
2. (Placename) a port in New Zealand, on N South Island on Tasman Bay. Pop: 45 300 (2004 est)
3. (Placename) River Nelson a river in central Canada, in N central Manitoba, flowing from Lake Winnipeg northeast to Hudson Bay. Length: about 650 km (400 miles)
1. (Biography) Horatio, Viscount Nelson. 1758–1805, British naval commander during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. He became rear admiral in 1797 after the battle of Cape St Vincent and in 1798 almost destroyed the French fleet at the battle of the Nile. He was killed at Trafalgar (1805) after defeating Villeneuve's fleet
2. (Biography) Willie. born 1933, US country singer and songwriter
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a wrestling hold in which pressure is applied to the head, back of the neck, and one or both arms of the opponent. Compare full nelson, half nelson.
[1885–90; orig. uncertain]
1. Viscount Horatio, 1758–1805, British admiral.
2. a river in central Canada, flowing NE from Lake Winnipeg to Hudson Bay. 400 mi. (645 km) long.
3. a seaport on N South Island, in New Zealand. 45,200.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Nelson - English admiral who defeated the French fleets of Napoleon but was mortally wounded at Trafalgar (1758-1805)|
|2.||nelson - any of several wrestling holds in which an arm is passed under the opponent's arm from behind and the hand exerts pressure on the back of the neck|
wrestling hold - a hold used in the sport of wrestling
full nelson - a wrestling hold in which the holder puts both arms under the opponent's arms and exerts pressure on the back of the neck (illegal in amateur wrestling)
half nelson - a wrestling hold in which the holder puts an arm under the opponent's arm and exerts pressure on the back of the neck
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
nelson[ˈnelsən] N (Wrestling) full nelson → llave f
half nelson → media llave f
to put a half nelson on sb (fig) → ponerle trabas a algn
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (Wrestling) → Nelson m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007