nemesis(redirected from nemeses)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. nem·e·ses (-sēz′)
1. A source of harm or ruin: Uncritical trust is my nemesis.
2. Retributive justice in its execution or outcome: To follow the proposed course of action is to invite nemesis.
3. An opponent that cannot be beaten or overcome.
4. One that inflicts retribution or vengeance.
5. Nemesis Greek Mythology The goddess of retributive justice or vengeance.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -ses (-ˌsiːz)
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) Greek myth the goddess of retribution and vengeance
2. (sometimes not capital) any agency of retribution and vengeance
[C16: via Latin from Greek: righteous wrath, from némein to distribute what is due]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
nem•e•sis(ˈnɛm ə sɪs)
n., pl. -ses (-ˌsiz)
1. a source or cause of harm or failure.
2. an unconquerable opponent or rival.
3. (cap.) the ancient Greek goddess of divine retribution.
4. an agent or act of retribution.
[1575–85; < Latin < Greek]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Nemesis - (Greek mythology) the goddess of divine retribution and vengeance|
Greek mythology - the mythology of the ancient Greeks
|2.||nemesis - something causing misery or death; "the bane of my life"|
affliction - a cause of great suffering and distress
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun retribution, fate, destruction, destiny, vengeance So far they had escaped their nemesis, but that afternoon it was to fall heavily on them.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
nemesis[ˈnemɪsɪs] N (nemeses (pl)) → (justo) castigo m
AIDS is our collective nemesis → SIDA representa nuestro castigo colectivo
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
nemesis[ˈnɛməsɪs] n → némésis f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995