Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to nerving: unnerving
1. Any of the cordlike bundles of fibers made up of neurons through which sensory stimuli and motor impulses pass between the brain or other parts of the central nervous system and the eyes, glands, muscles, and other parts of the body. Nerves form a network of pathways for conducting information throughout the body.
2. The sensitive tissue in the pulp of a tooth.
3. A sore point or sensitive subject: The criticism touched a nerve.
a. Courage and control under pressure: lost his nerve at the last minute.
b. Fortitude; stamina.
c. Forceful quality; boldness.
d. Brazen boldness; effrontery: had the nerve to deny it.
5. nerves Nervous agitation caused by fear, anxiety, or stress: had a sudden attack of nerves.
6. A vein or rib in the wing of an insect.
7. The midrib and larger veins in a leaf.
tr.v. nerved, nerv·ing, nervesIdioms:
To give strength or courage to.
get on (someone's) nerves
To irritate or exasperate.
strain every nerve
To make every effort.
(Veterinary Science) vet science surgical removal of part of a nerve trunk, or the use of chemicals to block the nerve supply, to relieve pain