Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The phase of the moon at which the moon, as viewed from Earth, does not appear to be illuminated by the sun. The new phase marks the beginning of a single revolution of the moon around the earth.
2. The period of the month when such a moon occurs.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Astronomy) the moon when it appears as a narrow waxing crescent
2. (Astronomy) the time at which this occurs
3. (Astronomy) astronomy one of the four principal phases of the moon, occurring when it lies between the earth and the sun
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the moon either when in conjunction with the sun or soon after, being either invisible or visible only as a slender crescent.
2. the phase of the moon at this time.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||new moon - the time at which the Moon appears as a narrow waxing crescent|
month - a time unit of approximately 30 days; "he was given a month to pay the bill"
phase of the moon - a time when the Moon presents a particular recurring appearance
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.