nickel-and-dime(redirected from nickel-and-dimes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
1. Involving or paying only a small amount of money: a nickel-and-dime job.
2. Minor; small-time: "a nickel-and-dime operation run out of a single borrowed room" (New York).
v. nick·el-and-dimed, nick·el-and-dim·ing, nick·el-and-dimes or nick·eled-and-dimed or nick·el·ing-and-dim·ing or nick·els-and-dimes
To spend very little money.
1. To drain or destroy bit by bit, especially financially: nickel-and-dimed the project to death.
2. To accumulate in small amounts: "nickel-and-diming a substantial bankroll together" (Newsweek).
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
small; insignificant; involving small amounts of money
to wear or bring someone down by small-scale incursions, penalties etc
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
adj., v. nick•el-and-dimed nick•eled-and-dimed, nick•el-and-dim•ing nick•el•ing-and-dim•ing. Informal. adj.
1. insignificant; trivial; petty.v.t.
2. to expose to financial hardship by the accumulation of small expenses.
3. to hinder, annoy, or harass with trivialities or nonessentials.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||nickel-and-dime - spend money frugally; spend as little as possible|
|2.||nickel-and-dime - accumulate gradually; "she nickeled-and-dimed together a small house for her family"|
|Adj.||1.||nickel-and-dime - of minor importance; "a nickel-and-dime operation run out of a single rented room"; "a small-time actor"|
unimportant - not important; "a relatively unimportant feature of the system"; "the question seems unimportant"
|2.||nickel-and-dime - low-paying; "a nickel-and-dime job"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007