Nilotic(redirected from niloticly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or relating to the Nile or the Nile Valley.
2. Of or relating to the peoples who speak Nilotic languages.
A large group of Nilo-Saharan languages, spoken in South Sudan, Uganda, Kenya, and northern Tanzania and including Masai.
[Latin Nīlōticus, from Nīlōtis, from Greek Neilōtis, from Neilos, Nile.]
1. (Placename) of or relating to the Nile
2. (Peoples) of, relating to, or belonging to a tall Negroid pastoral people inhabiting South Sudan, parts of Kenya and Uganda, and neighbouring countries
3. (Languages) relating to or belonging to the group of languages spoken by the Nilotic peoples
(Languages) a group of languages of E Africa, including Luo, Dinka, and Masai, now generally regarded as belonging to the Chari-Nile branch of the Nilo-Saharan family
[C17: via Latin from Greek Neilotikós, from Neilos the Nile]
1. of or pertaining to the Nile River, or the peoples of the Nile River valley.
2. of or pertaining to the Nilotes or their languages.n.
3. the group of languages spoken by the Nilotes.
[1645–55; < Latin Nīlōticus of the Nile]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Nilotic - a group of languages of East Africa belonging to the Chari-Nile group|
Chari-Nile - a group of Nilo-Saharan language spoken in parts of the Sudan and Zaire and Uganda and Tanzania
Dinka - a Nilotic language
Luo - a Nilotic language
Masai - a Nilotic language
|Adj.||1.||Nilotic - of or relating to the Nile River or the people living near it|
|2.||Nilotic - of or relating to or constituting the Nilotic group of languages; "Nilotic syntax"|