Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
1. A rhizomatous feather-leaved palm (Nypa fruticans) of tidal rivers of southern Asia and Australia, having long fronds often used for thatching.
2. An alcoholic beverage made from the sap of this plant.
[New Latin, from Malay nipah.]
1. (Plants) a palm tree, Nipa fruticans, of S and SE Asia, having feathery leaves, used for thatching, and edible fruit
2. (Cookery) the fruit or thatch obtained from this tree
3. (Plants) the fruit or thatch obtained from this tree
4. (Brewing) the sap of this tree, used to make a liquor
[C16: from Malay nīpah]
n., pl. -pas.
a palm, Nypa fruticans, of India, the Philippines, etc., whose foliage is used for thatching, basketry, etc.
[1580–90; < New Latin < Malay nipah]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Nipa - monotypic genus of palms of Australasia|
liliopsid genus, monocot genus - genus of flowering plants having a single cotyledon (embryonic leaf) in the seed
Arecaceae, family Arecaceae, family Palmaceae, family Palmae, palm family, Palmaceae, Palmae - chiefly tropical trees and shrubs and vines usually having a tall columnar trunk bearing a crown of very large leaves; coextensive with the order Palmales
|2.||nipa - made from sap of the Australasian nipa palm|
alcohol, alcoholic beverage, alcoholic drink, inebriant, intoxicant - a liquor or brew containing alcohol as the active agent; "alcohol (or drink) ruined him"