Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to nipper: NIPER
1. often nippers A tool, such as pliers or pincers, used for squeezing or nipping.
2. A pincerlike part, such as the large claw of a crustacean.
3. Chiefly British A small boy.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person or thing that nips
2. (Zoology) the large pincer-like claw of a lobster, crab, or similar crustacean
3. informal a small child
4. Austral a type of small prawn used as bait
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a person or thing that nips.
2. Usu., nippers. a device for nipping, as pincers or forceps.
3. one of the two large claws of a crustacean.
a. a small boy.
b. Chiefly Brit. a costermonger's assistant.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nipper - a young person of either sex; "she writes books for children"; "they're just kids"; "`tiddler' is a British term for youngster"|
child's body - the body of a human child
bairn - a child: son or daughter
buster - a robust child
changeling - a child secretly exchanged for another in infancy
child prodigy, infant prodigy, wonder child - a prodigy whose talents are recognized at an early age; "Mozart was a child prodigy"
kiddy - a young child
orphan - a child who has lost both parents
peanut - a young child who is small for his age
picaninny - (ethnic slur) offensive term for a Black child
poster child - a child afflicted by some disease or deformity whose picture is used on posters to raise money for charitable purposes; "she was the poster child for muscular dystrophy"
silly - a word used for misbehaving children; "don't be a silly"
sprog - a child
urchin - poor and often mischievous city child
|2.||nipper - a grasping structure on the limb of a crustacean or other arthropods|
crustacean - any mainly aquatic arthropod usually having a segmented body and chitinous exoskeleton
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. (Informal) child, girl, boy, baby, kid (informal), infant, tot, little one, sprog (slang), munchkin (informal, chiefly U.S.), rug rat (slang), littlie (Austral. informal), ankle-biter (Austral. slang) I couldn't have been much more than a nipper when you last saw me.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
nipper[ˈnɪpəʳ] N (Brit) → chiquillo/a m/f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
nipper[ˈnɪpə] n (Brit) (fam) → bambino/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995