Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. The small projection near the center of the mammary gland containing the outlets of the milk ducts through which young mammals obtain milk from the adult female; a teat.
b. A corresponding projection of the male breast.
a. The rubber cap on a bottle from which a baby nurses.
b. A pacifier for an infant.
3. Any of various devices functioning like or resembling a nipple, especially:
a. A regulated opening for discharging a liquid, as in a small stopcock.
b. A pipe coupling threaded on both ends.
c. A short extension of pipe to which a nozzle can be attached.
d. A small projection through which grease in a grease gun can be forced into a bearing.
4. A natural or geographic projection resembling a nipple, as a mountain crest.
[From obsolete neble, diminutive of neb.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anatomy) Also called: mamilla, papilla or teat the small conical projection in the centre of the areola of each breast, which in women contains the outlet of the milk ducts.
2. something resembling a nipple in shape or function
3. (Mechanical Engineering) Also called: grease nipple a small drilled bush, usually screwed into a bearing, through which grease is introduced
4. US and Canadian an informal word for dummy11
[C16: from earlier neble, nible, perhaps from neb, nib]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a protuberance of the mamma or breast where, in the female, the milk ducts discharge; teat.
2. something resembling it, as the mouthpiece of a nursing bottle or pacifier.
3. a short piece of pipe with threads on each end, used for joining valves.
[1520–30; earlier neble, nib(b)le, nepil; compare Dan nip point]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A small projection near the center of the mammary gland, as of the human breast, containing in females the outlets of the milk ducts.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The conical projection on a breast, which contains the outlets of the milk ducts.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nipple - the small projection of a mammary gland|
|2.||nipple - a flexible cap on a baby's feeding bottle or pacifier|
feeding bottle, nursing bottle, bottle - a vessel fitted with a flexible teat and filled with milk or formula; used as a substitute for breast feeding infants and very young children
cap - a top (as for a bottle)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun teat, breast, boob (slang), udder, dug, tit, pap, papilla, mamilla Most newborn mammals possess an instinctive urge to seek out their mother's nipple.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
حلمةحَلَمَهمَصّاصَة قَنينَة الحَليب
biberon emziğimeme başı/ucuşişe emziği
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
(on baby's bottle) → tétine f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
nipple[ˈnɪpl] n (Anat) → capezzolo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
1. the darker, pointed part of a woman's breast from which a baby sucks milk; the equivalent part of a male breast. tepel حَلَمَه зърно mamilo bradavka die Brustwarze brystvorte θηλή στήθους pezón rinnanibu پستانک مخصوص شيربچه nänni mamelon פִּיטמָה स्तनाग्र prsne bradavice mellbimbó puting susu geirvarta capezzolo 乳首 젖꼭지 spenys, spenelis krūtsgals puting payu dara tepelbrystvorte brodawka sutkowa د شيدو چوشك mamilo sfârc сосок bradavka prsna bradavica bradavica bröstvårta หัวนม meme başı/ucu 乳頭 сосок پستان کي گھنڈي núm vú 乳头
2. (American) the rubber mouth-piece of a baby's feeding-bottle; a teat. tiet مَصّاصَة قَنينَة الحَليب биберон bico dudlík der Flaschenschnuller suttehoved πιπίλα μπιμπερό tetina lutt ممه. پستانک tutti tétine פּטמַת בַּקבּוּק निपल, चुसनी duda cucli, cumi dot tútta tettarella 乳首 젖꼭지 모양의 것 žindukas knupītis puting speentåtesmokksmoczek چوشك tetina biberon соска cumlík cucelj cucla napp หัวนมยาง şişe emziği, biberon emziği (哺乳瓶用)奶嘴 соска بچوں کے دودھ کي بوتل کا ربر کا سرا đầu vú cao su 牛奶瓶的橡胶奶嘴
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
n. pezón; [of male] tetilla; [nursing bottle] mamadera, tetera;
cracked ___ → ___ agrietado;
engorged ___ → ___ enlechado;
retracted ___ → ___ retractado.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
nipplen (female) pezón m; (male) tetilla; (of a baby bottle) tetina; — shield pezonera
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.