nitrify(redirected from nitrifying)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to nitrifying: Denitrifying bacteria
tr.v. ni·tri·fied, ni·tri·fy·ing, ni·tri·fies
1. To oxidize (an ammonia compound) into a nitrite or (a nitrite) into a nitrate, especially by the action of nitrifying bacteria.
2. To treat or combine with nitrogen or compounds containing nitrogen.
ni′tri·fi·ca′tion (-fĭ-kā′shən) n.
vb (tr) , -fies, -fying or -fied
1. (Chemistry) to treat or cause to react with nitrogen or a nitrogen compound
2. (Agriculture) to treat (soil) with nitrates
3. (Biology) (of nitrobacteria) to convert (ammonium compounds) into nitrates by oxidation
v.t. -fied, -fy•ing.
1. to oxidize (ammonia, ammonium compounds, or atmospheric nitrogen) to nitrites, nitrates, or their respective acids, esp. by bacterial action.
2. to treat or combine with nitrogen or its compounds.
Past participle: nitrified
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||nitrify - convert into nitric acid, nitrous acid, or nitrate, especially with the action of nitrobacteria|
convert - change the nature, purpose, or function of something; "convert lead into gold"; "convert hotels into jails"; "convert slaves to laborers"
|2.||nitrify - treat with nitrogen or a nitrogen compound|
|3.||nitrify - treat (soil) with nitrates|
fertilize, fertilise, feed - provide with fertilizers or add nutrients to; "We should fertilize soil if we want to grow healthy plants"
denitrify - remove nitrogen from; "Denitrify the soil"