Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to nobleness: ennoble
adj. no·bler, no·blest
1. Possessing hereditary rank in a political system or social class derived from a feudalistic stage of a country's development.
a. Having or showing qualities of high moral character, such as courage, generosity, or honor: a noble spirit.
b. Proceeding from or indicative of such a character; showing magnanimity: "What poor an instrument / May do a noble deed!" (Shakespeare).
3. Grand and stately in appearance; majestic: "a mighty Spanish chestnut, bare now of leaves, but in summer a noble tree" (Richard Jeffries).
4. Chemistry Inactive or inert.
1. A member of the nobility.
2. A gold coin formerly used in England, worth half of a mark.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nobleness - the quality of elevation of mind and exaltation of character or ideals or conduct|
high-mindedness, noble-mindedness, idealism - elevated ideals or conduct; the quality of believing that ideals should be pursued
sublimity - nobility in thought or feeling or style