Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to nodule: Thyroid nodule
1. A small knotlike protuberance.
2. Medicine A small, abnormal but usually benign mass of tissue, as on the thyroid gland, in the lung, or under the skin.
3. Botany A small knoblike outgrowth, especially one on the roots of a leguminous plant that contains bacteria that fix nitrogen.
4. Mineralogy A small rounded lump of a mineral or mixture of minerals, usually harder than the surrounding rock or sediment.
nod′u·lar (nŏj′ə-lər), nod′u·lose′ (-lōs′), nod′u·lous (-ləs) adj.
1. a small knot, lump, or node
2. (Botany) Also called: root nodule any of the knoblike outgrowths on the roots of clover and many other legumes: contain bacteria involved in nitrogen fixation
3. (Anatomy) anatomy any small node or knoblike protuberance
4. (Geological Science) a small rounded lump of rock or mineral substance, esp in a matrix of different rock material
[C17: from Latin nōdulus, from nōdus knot]
ˈnodular, ˈnodulose, ˈnodulous adj
1. a small node, knot, or knob.
2. a small, rounded mass or lump.
[1590–1600; < Latin nōdulus=nōd(us) knot + -ulus -ule]
1. Anatomy A small, usually hard mass of tissue.
2. Botany A small knob-like outgrowth found on the roots of many plants that are legumes. See more at legume.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nodule - a small node |
node - any bulge or swelling of an anatomical structure or part
|2.||nodule - small rounded wartlike protuberance on a plant|
|3.||nodule - (mineralogy) a small rounded lump of mineral substance (usually harder than the surrounding rock or sediment)|
mineralogy - the branch of geology that studies minerals: their structure and properties and the ways of distinguishing them
geode - (mineralogy) a hollow rock or nodule with the cavity usually lined with crystals