Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A warning or prohibition against meddling, touching, or interfering.
2. A representation of Jesus appearing to Mary Magdalene after his resurrection.
[Late Latin nōlī mē tangere, do not touch me (Jesus' words to Mary Magdalene, John 20:17) : Latin nōlī, do not, imperative of nōlle, to be unwilling + Latin mē, me + Latin tangere, to touch.]
1. a warning against interfering or against touching a person or thing
2. (Art Terms) a work of art depicting Christ appearing to Mary Magdalene after His Resurrection
3. (Plants) another name for touch-me-not
4. (Pathology) a cancerous ulcer affecting soft tissue and bone
[from Latin: do not touch me, the words spoken by Christ to Mary Magdalene (Vulgate, John 20:17)]
A Latin phrase meaning do not touch me, used to mean a picture showing Jesus appearing to Mary Magdelene after his resurrection.