Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
1. A member of the armed forces, such as a chaplain or surgeon, whose duties lie outside combat.
2. A civilian in wartime, especially one in a war zone.
1. (Military) a civilian in time of war
2. (Military) a member of the armed forces whose duties do not include fighting, such as a chaplain or surgeon
non•com•bat•ant(ˌnɒn kəmˈbæt nt, nɒnˈkɒm bə tnt)
1. a member of a military force who is not a fighter, as a surgeon or chaplain.
2. a person who is not a combatant; a civilian in wartime.adj.
3. not constituting, designed for, or engaged in combat.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||noncombatant - a member of the armed forces who does not participate in combat (e.g. a chaplain or surgeon)|
|Adj.||1.||noncombatant - used of civilians in time of war|
civilian - associated with civil life or performed by persons who are not active members of the military; "civilian clothing"; "civilian life"
|2.||noncombatant - member of armed forces whose duties do not include fighting as e.g. a chaplain or surgeon|
military - associated with or performed by members of the armed services as contrasted with civilians; "military police"