Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. non·con·form·i·ties
a. Refusal or failure to conform to accepted standards, conventions, rules, or laws.
b. An instance of this: a measure aimed at reducing nonconformities to the housing code.
2. often Nonconformity Refusal to accept or conform to the doctrines, usage, or polity of the Church of England.
3. Geology An unconformity in which the underlying strata are composed of igneous or metamorphic rock and the overlying strata are composed of sedimentary rock.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. failure or refusal to conform
2. absence of agreement or harmony
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
non•con•form•i•ty(ˌnɒn kənˈfɔr mɪ ti)
1. failure or refusal to conform, as to established customs, attitudes, or ideas.
2. lack of conformity or agreement.
3. (often cap.) refusal to conform to the Church of England.
4. an unconformity that separates crystalline rocks, either igneous or metamorphic, from sedimentary rocks.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nonconformity - lack of harmony or correspondence|
disagreement - the speech act of disagreeing or arguing or disputing
|2.||nonconformity - a lack of orthodoxy in thoughts or beliefs|
heresy, heterodoxy, unorthodoxy - any opinions or doctrines at variance with the official or orthodox position
|3.||nonconformity - unorthodoxy as a consequence of not conforming to expected standards or values|
|4.||nonconformity - failure to conform to accepted standards of behavior|
failure - an act that fails; "his failure to pass the test"
nonobservance - a lack of conformity with law or custom or practice etc.
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
nonconformity[ˈnɒnkənˈfɔːmɪtɪ] N → inconformismo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005