Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. non·con·form·i·ties
a. Refusal or failure to conform to accepted standards, conventions, rules, or laws.
b. An instance of this: a measure aimed at reducing nonconformities to the housing code.
2. often Nonconformity Refusal to accept or conform to the doctrines, usage, or polity of the Church of England.
3. Geology An unconformity in which the underlying strata are composed of igneous or metamorphic rock and the overlying strata are composed of sedimentary rock.
1. failure or refusal to conform
2. absence of agreement or harmony
non•con•form•i•ty(ˌnɒn kənˈfɔr mɪ ti)
1. failure or refusal to conform, as to established customs, attitudes, or ideas.
2. lack of conformity or agreement.
3. (often cap.) refusal to conform to the Church of England.
4. an unconformity that separates crystalline rocks, either igneous or metamorphic, from sedimentary rocks.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nonconformity - lack of harmony or correspondence|
disagreement - the speech act of disagreeing or arguing or disputing
|2.||nonconformity - a lack of orthodoxy in thoughts or beliefs|
heresy, heterodoxy, unorthodoxy - any opinions or doctrines at variance with the official or orthodox position
|3.||nonconformity - unorthodoxy as a consequence of not conforming to expected standards or values|
|4.||nonconformity - failure to conform to accepted standards of behavior|
failure - an act that fails; "his failure to pass the test"
nonobservance - a lack of conformity with law or custom or practice etc.