nonet(redirected from nonets)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
1. A combination of nine instruments or voices.
2. A composition written for such a combination.
[Italian nonetto, from diminutive of nono, ninth, from Latin nōnus; see nones.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Classical Music) a piece of music composed for a group of nine instruments
2. (Classical Music) an instrumental group of nine players
[C19: from Italian nonetto, from nono ninth, from Latin nōnus]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a group of nine voices or instruments.
2. a composition for a nonet.
[1860–65; < Italian nonetto]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.