Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to normative: Normative economics
Of, relating to, or prescribing a norm or standard: normative grammar.
1. implying, creating, or prescribing a norm or standard, as in language: normative grammar.
2. expressing value judgments or prescriptions as contrasted with stating facts: normative economics.
3. of, relating to, or based on norms
nor•ma•tive(ˈnɔr mə tɪv)
1. of or pertaining to a norm or standard.
2. tending or attempting to establish such a norm, esp. by the prescription of rules: normative grammar.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||normative - relating to or dealing with norms; "normative discipline"; "normative samples"|
|2.||normative - pertaining to giving directives or rules; "prescriptive grammar is concerned with norms of or rules for correct usage"|
grammar - the branch of linguistics that deals with syntax and morphology (and sometimes also deals with semantics)