Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Abbr. NE The direction or point on the mariner's compass halfway between due north and due east, or 45° east of due north.
2. An area or region lying in the northeast.
3. Northeast A region of the northeast United States, generally including the New England states, New York, and sometimes Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
1. To, toward, of, facing, or in the northeast.
2. Originating in or coming from the northeast: a northeast wind.
In, from, or toward the northeast.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Physical Geography) another word for northeast
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||northeastern - situated in or oriented toward the northeast; "the northeasterly part of the island"|
north - situated in or facing or moving toward or coming from the north; "artists like north light"; "the north portico"
|2.||northeastern - of a region of the United States generally including the New England states; New York; and sometimes New Jersey and Pennsylvania|
eastern - of or characteristic of eastern regions of the United States; "the Eastern establishment"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
northeastern[ˈnɔːθˈiːstən] ADJ → nor(d)este, del nor(d)este
in northeastern Spain → al nor(d)este or en el nor(d)este de España
the northeastern coast → la costa nororiental or nor(d)este
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
northeastern[ˌnɔːðˈiːstən] adj → di nordest
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995