Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to northing: latitude
1. The northerly component of the distance traveled between two positions.
2. Progress toward the north.
1. (Navigation) nautical movement or distance covered in a northerly direction, esp as expressed in the resulting difference in latitude
2. (Astronomy) astronomy a north or positive declination
3. (Physical Geography) cartography
a. the distance northwards of a point from a given parallel indicated by the second half of a map grid reference
b. a latitudinal grid line. Compare easting2
north•ing(ˈnɔr θɪŋ, -ðɪŋ)
1. northward movement or deviation; northerly direction.
2. distance due north made on any course tending northward.
Northward, that is, from bottom to top, reading of grid values on a map.