Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to northing: latitude
1. The northerly component of the distance traveled between two positions.
2. Progress toward the north.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Navigation) nautical movement or distance covered in a northerly direction, esp as expressed in the resulting difference in latitude
2. (Astronomy) astronomy a north or positive declination
3. (Physical Geography) cartography
a. the distance northwards of a point from a given parallel indicated by the second half of a map grid reference
b. a latitudinal grid line. Compare easting2
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
north•ing(ˈnɔr θɪŋ, -ðɪŋ)
1. northward movement or deviation; northerly direction.
2. distance due north made on any course tending northward.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Northward, that is, from bottom to top, reading of grid values on a map.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.