Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A piece of armor that forms part of a helmet and protects the nose.
2. The part of a pair of eyeglasses that fits across the nose.
3. See noseband.
4. The part of a microscope, often rotatable, to which one or more objective lenses are attached.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) Also called: nasal a piece of armour, esp part of a helmet, that serves to protect the nose
2. the connecting part of a pair of spectacles that rests on the nose; bridge
3. (General Physics) the part of a microscope to which one or more objective lenses are attached
4. (Horse Training, Riding & Manège) a less common word for noseband
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the part of an eyeglass frame that passes over the bridge of the nose.
2. the part of a microscope to which the objectives are attached.
3. a piece of armor serving as protection for the nose.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nosepiece - armor plate that protects the nose|
armor plate, armor plating, armour plate, plate armor, plate armour - specially hardened steel plate used to protect fortifications or vehicles from enemy fire
|2.||nosepiece - a strap that is the part of a bridle that goes over the animal's nose|
bridle - headgear for a horse; includes a headstall and bit and reins to give the rider or driver control
strap - an elongated leather strip (or a strip of similar material) for binding things together or holding something in position
|3.||nosepiece - the link between two lenses; rests on the nose|
linkup, tie-in, link, tie - a fastener that serves to join or connect; "the walls are held together with metal links placed in the wet mortar during construction"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.