Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. At the present time: goods now on sale; the now aging dictator.
2. At once; immediately: Stop now.
3. In the immediate past; very recently: left the room just now.
4. At this point in the series of events; then: The ship was now listing to port.
5. At times; sometimes: now hot, now cold.
7. In these circumstances; as things are: Now we won't be able to stay.
a. Used to introduce a command, reproof, or request: Now pay attention.
b. Used to indicate a change of subject or to preface a remark: Now, let's get down to work.
Seeing that; since. Often used with that: Now that spring is here, we can expect milder weather.
The present time or moment: wouldn't work up to now.
1. Of the present time; current: our now governor.
2. Slang Currently fashionable; trendy: the now sound of this new rock band.
now and again/then
National Organization for Women
the quality of occurring or existing in the present time
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nowness - the quality of being the present; "a study of the pastness of the present and...of the presentness of the past"- R.E.Spiller|
timing - the time when something happens