Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Relating to an unspecified ordinal number: ten to the nth power.
2. Relatively large but unspecified: tried calling for the nth time.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mathematics) maths of or representing an unspecified ordinal number, usually the greatest in a series of values: the nth power.
2. informal being the last, most recent, or most extreme of a long series: for the nth time, eat your lunch!.
3. to the nth degree informal to the utmost extreme; as much as possible
(Physical Geography) North
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. being the last in a series of infinitely decreasing or increasing values, amounts, etc.
2. utmost; extreme: to the nth degree.
[1850–55; N (symbol, definition 4) + -th2]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||nth - last or greatest in an indefinitely large series; "to the nth degree"|
ordinal - being or denoting a numerical order in a series; "ordinal numbers"; "held an ordinal rank of seventh"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
nth[enθ] ADJ → enésimo
to the nth power or degree → a la enésima potencia
for the nth time → por enésima vez
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
for the nth time → pour la énième fois
to the nth degree
Roy ponders everything to the nth degree → Roy rumine les moindres choses à l'infini.
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
nth[ɛnθ] adj (Math) to the nth power or degree → all'ennesima potenza
for the nth time (fam) → per l'ennesima volta
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995