Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
adj. nud·er, nud·est
1. Having no clothing; naked.
2. Permitting or featuring full exposure of the body: a nude beach.
3. Having or being one of a variety of colors, such as pinkish beige, tan, or brown, that are similar to a skin tone. Used of clothing and makeup with respect to the skin tone of the wearer.
1. An unclothed human figure, especially an artistic representation.
2. The condition of being unclothed.
[Latin nūdus; see nogw- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
nu′di·ty (no͞o′dĭ-tē, nyo͞o′-), nude′ness n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nudeness - the state of being without clothing or covering of any kind|
condition, status - a state at a particular time; "a condition (or state) of disrepair"; "the current status of the arms negotiations"
nude - without clothing (especially in the phrase `in the nude'); "they swam in the nude"
altogether, birthday suit, raw - informal terms for nakedness; "in the raw"; "in the altogether"; "in his birthday suit"
undress - partial or complete nakedness; "a state of undress"
bareness - the state of being unclothed and exposed (especially of a part of the body)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.