Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
short for ortho-4
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. O's Os, o's os oes.
1. the 15th letter of the English alphabet, a vowel.
2. any spoken sound represented by this letter.
3. something shaped like an O.
4. a written or printed representation of the letter O or o.
interj., n., pl. O's. interj.
1. (used before a name in direct address, esp. in solemn or poetic language, to lend earnestness to an appeal): Hear, O Israel!
2. (used as an expression of surprise, pain, annoyance, longing, gladness, etc.)n.
3. the exclamation “O.”
[1125–75; Middle English < Old French < Latin ō]
2. Gram. object.
1. the 15th in order or in a series.
2. the Arabic numeral; zero; cipher.
3. a major blood group. Compare ABO system.
1. of: o'clock; will-o'-the-wisp.
2. Chiefly Dial. on.
[Middle English; by shortening.]
a prefix meaning “descendant,” in Irish family names: O'Brien; O'Connor.
[representing Irish ó descendant, Old Irish au]
var. of ob- before m: omission.
var. of oo-: oidium.
the typical ending of the first element of compounds of Greek origin, used regularly in forming new compounds with elements of Greek origin and often used in English as a connective irrespective of etymology: Franco-Italian; geography; seriocomic; speedometer. Compare -i-.
[Middle English (< Old French) < Latin < Greek]
1. a suffix occurring as the final element in informal shortenings of nouns (ammo; combo; promo); -o also forms nouns, usu. derogatory, for persons or things exemplifying or associated with that specified by the base noun or adjective (pinko; weirdo; wino).
2. a suffix occurring in informal noun or adjective derivatives, usu. grammatically isolated, as in address: kiddo; neato; righto.
[< Latin octārius]
[< Latin octārius]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.