Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A movie about frontier or cowboy life; a western.
[From the prominence of horses, known for their taste for oats, in such films.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Film) slang another name for Western
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. lying toward or situated in the west.
2. directed or proceeding toward the west: a western migration.
3. coming or originating from the west, as a wind.
4. (often cap.) of or pertaining to the West in the U.S.
5. (usu. cap.) Occidental.
6. (usu. cap.) of or pertaining to the non-Communist countries of Europe and the Americas.
7. (cap.) of or pertaining to the Western Church.n.
8. (often cap.) a story, movie, or radio or television play about the U.S. West of the 19th century.
9. a person or thing from a western region or country.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.