Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. often oats(used with a sing. or pl. verb)
a. Any of various grasses of the genus Avena, especially A. sativa, widely cultivated for their edible grains.
b. The grain of any of these plants, used as food and fodder.
2. A musical pipe made of an oat straw.
[Middle English ote, from Old English āte.]
v. sowed, sown (sōn) or sowed, sow·ing, sows
1. To scatter (seed) over the ground for growing.
2. To scatter seed over (land, for example).
3. To strew something around or over (an area); distribute something over: "The yard was sown with cement sculpture" (Ashley Warlick).
4. To propagate; disseminate: sow rumors.
To scatter seed for growing.
sow (one's) oats/wild oats
To indulge in sexually promiscuous or dissolute behavior, especially as a young adult.
a. An adult female pig, especially one that has had at least one litter.
b. The adult female of several other animals, such as the bear.
a. A channel that conducts molten iron to the molds in a pig bed.
b. The mass of metal solidified in such a channel or mold.
oats[ˈəʊts] npl → avena
oats(əuts) noun singular or plural
a type of cereal plant or its grain (seeds). a field of oats; Horses eat oats. hawer, hawermeel شوفان овес aveia oves der Hafer havre; havre- βρόμηavena kaer جو دوسر kaura avoine שִׁיבּוֹלֶת-שׁוּעָל जई zob zab gandum hafrar avena オート麦 귀리 avižos auzas pokok oat haverhavreowies ږدن aveia ovăz овёс ovos oves ovas havre ข้าวโอ๊ต yulaf 燕麥 овес جو yến mạch 燕麦