obscurant(redirected from obscurantly)
One who opposes intellectual advancement and political reform.
1. Characterized by opposition to intellectual advancement and political reform.
2. Tending to make obscure: an obscurant bank of clouds.
an opposer of reform and enlightenment
1. of or relating to an obscurant
2. causing obscurity
ˌobscuˈrantist n, adj
1. a person who strives to prevent the spread of knowledge.adj.
2. pertaining to or characteristic of obscurants.
3. tending to make obscure.
[1790–1800; < Latin obscūrant-, s. of obscūrāns, present participle of obscūrāre, derivative of obscūrus dark]