Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
Related to oceanic: Oceanic crust
A subgroup of the Malayo-Polynesian language family including the Micronesian, Melanesian, and Polynesian languages.
Of or relating to the Oceanic subgroup of Malayo-Polynesian; Oceanian.
1. Of or relating to the ocean.
a. Relating to the open ocean, away from coastal waters: "Like many oceanic islands, Bermuda was originally free of all mammals except the bat" (Dwight Holing).
b. Relating to or inhabiting the ocean waters that lie beyond the continental shelf and exceed 200 meters (656 feet) in depth.
3. Resembling an ocean in expanse; vast: oceanic steppes.
1. of or relating to the ocean
2. (Biology) living in the depths of the ocean beyond the continental shelf at a depth exceeding 200 metres: oceanic fauna.
3. huge or overwhelming
4. (Geological Science) (of geological formations) of volcanic origin, arising from the ocean: oceanic islands.
(Languages) a branch, group, or subfamily of the Malayo-Polynesian family of languages, comprising Polynesian and Melanesian
1. (Languages) of, relating to, or belonging to this group of languages
2. (Placename) of or relating to Oceania
o•ce•an•ic(ˌoʊ ʃiˈæn ɪk)
1. of, living in, or produced by the ocean: oceanic currents.
2. of or pertaining to the region of water lying above the bathyal, abyssal, and hadal zones of the sea bottom.n.
3. (cap.) (in most classifications) a branch of the Austronesian language family that includes all Austronesian languages spoken from New Guinea and the Caroline Islands E through Polynesia.
[1650–60; < Medieval Latin ōceanicus]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Oceanic - an eastern subfamily of Malayo-Polynesian languages|
Malayo-Polynesian, Polynesian - the branch of the Austronesian languages spoken from Madagascar to the central Pacific
Tahitian - the Oceanic language spoken on Tahiti
Maori - the Oceanic language spoken by the Maori in New Zealand
Hawaiian - the Oceanic languages spoken on Hawaii
Fijian - the Oceanic language spoken on Fiji
|Adj.||1.||oceanic - relating to or occurring or living in or frequenting the open ocean; "oceanic islands like Bermuda"; "oceanic currents"; "oceanic birds"; "pelagic organisms"; "pelagic whaling"|
|2.||oceanic - resembling the ocean in apparent limitlessness in extent or degree; "the oceanic violence of his rage"|
|3.||oceanic - constituting or living in the open sea; "oceanic waters"; "oceanic life"|
marine - relating to or characteristic of or occurring on or in the sea