Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
n. pl. oc·ta·vos
1. The page size, from 5 by 8 inches to 6 by 9.5 inches, of a book composed of printer's sheets folded into eight leaves.
2. A book composed of octavo pages. In both senses also called eightvo.
[Medieval Latin (in) octāvō, (in) an eighth, from Latin, ablative sing. of octāvus, eighth, from octō, eight; see oktō(u) in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -vos
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) Also called: eightvo a book size resulting from folding a sheet of paper of a specified size to form eight leaves: demi-octavo. Often written: 8vo or 8°
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a book of this size
3. (formerly) a size of cut paper 8 inches by 5 inches (20.3 cm by 12.7 cm)
[C16: from New Latin phrase in octavo in an eighth (of a whole sheet)]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
oc•ta•vo(ɒkˈteɪ voʊ, -ˈtɑ-)
n., pl. -vos,
1. a book size of about 6 x 9 in. (16 x 23 cm), determined by printing on sheets folded to form 8 leaves or 16 pages. Symbol: 8vo, 8°
2. a book of this size.adj.
3. in octavo.
[1575–85; short for New Latin in octāvō in an eighth]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||octavo - the size of a book whose pages are made by folding a sheet of paper three times to form eight leaves|
size - the property resulting from being one of a series of graduated measurements (as of clothing); "he wears a size 13 shoe"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. ADJ → en octavo
B. N (octavos (pl)) → libro m en octavo
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
octavo[ɒkˈteɪvəʊ] n → volume m in-ottavo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995