Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
adj. odd·er, odd·est
1. Deviating from what is ordinary, usual, or expected; strange or peculiar: an odd name; odd behavior. See Synonyms at strange.
2. Being in excess of the indicated or approximate number, extent, or degree. Often used in combination: invited 30-odd guests.
a. Constituting a remainder: had some odd dollars left over.
b. Small in amount: jingled the odd change in my pockets.
a. Being one of an incomplete pair or set: an odd shoe.
b. Remaining after others have been paired or grouped.
5. Mathematics Designating an integer not divisible by two, such as 1, 3, and 5.
6. Not expected, regular, or planned: called at odd intervals.
7. Remote; out-of-the-way: found the antique shop in an odd corner of town.
[Middle English odde, from Old Norse oddi, point of land, triangle, odd number.]
Variant of Od.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||oddness - the parity of odd numbers (not divisible by two)|
parity - (mathematics) a relation between a pair of integers: if both integers are odd or both are even they have the same parity; if one is odd and the other is even they have different parity; "parity is often used to check the integrity of transmitted data"
|2.||oddness - eccentricity that is not easily explained|
eccentricity - strange and unconventional behavior
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
oddness[ˈɒdnɪs] N → rareza f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007