Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. Exhibiting bad taste: an off-color joke.
2. Varying from the usual, expected, or required color.
3. Not in good health or spirits.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. not having the usual or standard color.
2. of doubtful propriety or taste; risqué.
3. not in one's usual health.Also, off′-col′ored (for defs. 1,2).
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||off-color - in violation of good taste even verging on the indecent; "an indelicate remark"; "an off-color joke"|
tasteless - lacking aesthetic or social taste
|2.||off-color - humorously vulgar; "bawdy songs"; "off-color jokes"; "ribald language"|
dirty - (of behavior or especially language) characterized by obscenity or indecency; "dirty words"; "a dirty old man"; "dirty books and movies"; "boys telling dirty jokes"; "has a dirty mouth"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. Bordering on indelicacy or impropriety:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.