Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to offerer: Offeree
v. of·fered, of·fer·ing, of·fers
a. To present for acceptance or rejection; proffer: offered me a drink.
b. To put forward for consideration; propose: offer an opinion.
c. To present in order to meet a need or satisfy a requirement: offered new statistics in order to facilitate the decision-making process.
d. To present as an act of worship: offer a prayer.
e. To propose as payment; bid: offered only half what I was asking for the car.
a. To make available; afford: The situation offers us the opportunity to learn more.
b. To present for sale: Those boots are being offered at half price.
c. To provide; furnish: a hotel that offers conference facilities.
3. To exhibit readiness or desire (to do something); volunteer: offered to carry the packages.
4. To engage in; put up: partisans who offered strong resistance to the invaders.
5. To threaten: offered to leave without them if they didn't hurry.
6. To produce or introduce on the stage: The repertory group is offering two new plays this season.
1. To present an offering in worship or devotion.
2. To make an offer or proposal, especially of marriage.
3. To present itself: "This plan was dropped, because of its risk, and because a better offered" (T.E. Lawrence).
4. Baseball To swing at a pitch. Used of a batter.
1. The act of offering: an offer of assistance.
2. Something, such as a suggestion, proposal, bid, or recommendation, that is offered: Did you accept his offer for the car?
3. Law A proposal that if accepted constitutes a legally binding contract.
4. The condition of being offered, especially for sale: thousands of bushels of wheat on offer.
[Middle English offren, from Old English offrian, to present in worship, and from Old French offrir, to propose, present, both from Latin offerre, to present, offer : ob-, to; see ob- + ferre, to bring; see bher- in Indo-European roots.]
of′fer·er, of′fer·or n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||offerer - someone who presents something to another for acceptance or rejection|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.