Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A double curve with the shape of an elongated S.
2. A molding having the profile of an S-shaped curve.
3. An arch formed by two symmetrical double curves meeting at a point. Also called ogee arch.
[Middle English oggifs, ogeus, pl. of ogif, ogive; see ogive.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Architecture) Also called: talon a moulding having a cross section in the form of a letter S
2. (Architecture) short for ogee arch
[C15: probably variant of ogive]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
o•gee(oʊˈdʒi, ˈoʊ dʒi)
1. a double curve, resembling an S, formed by the union of a concave and a convex line.
2. a molding with such a curve for a profile; cyma.
3. ogee arch.
[1275–1325; Middle English ogeus, oggez, oggif diagonal rib of a vault < Anglo-French, Old French ogive ogive]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ogee - a molding that (in section) has the shape of an S with the convex part above and the concave part below|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.